joeiandmichelle.blogspot.com

Road To 21K

by: Joei & Michelle

Rowing at Saddlerow BGC.

By April 28, 2016 , , , , , ,

One of our runner friends have said that one of the best workouts that complement running is Rowing & Spinning. This is perfect because on days that I find running outside to be too hot, rowing or spinning seems like the best alternative. Admit it, it has been hot the past few days right??? I had to shorten my run two days ago because I felt like one of my cakes baking inside an oven.

Last week, I got to try the Circuit Rowing class by Pio at Saddle Row with our friend Wowie. Joei and my brother were supposed to join but they got stuck in traffic.

This is where the magic happens. Hehe! My daughter trying out the rowing machine.
Can you see Wowie's knees and toes on the left? That's him doing the wall sits while I was finishing the rowing part.
My arms were burning during this workout!
The class was quite challenging. We were grouped by twos so Wowie became my workout partner that day. 

According to Active.com's article "Why Runners Should Be Rowers", rowing is an invaluable tool for runners. "When you learn how to do it right it lights up weaknesses you didn't know you had. It helps runners and cyclists find power in muscles they hadn't used before."

It also mentioned there that it can be a great alternative to running, especially when you get injured. In that article, it relayed an instance when this particular runner got injured 2 weeks into her 15 week marathon training. Instead of giving up, she used rowing to train for the race. The only secret there is doing it the right way. She only went back to running two weeks before the race and she finished it in 42:20:26!!! Inspiring!!!

Running and rowing have the same cardiovascular benefits but it works out different muscle groups. Rowing is a total body workout! The Circuit Rowing class that we took worked out my whole body...legs, arms, core, and back! It worked in a way that while one partner was doing the rowing part or the other exercises, the other partner was doing wall sits. It sort of pressured me to do it efficiently without taking breaks because that would mean longer wall sits for my partner. 

This workout is something I'd want to do again! It was challenging and fun because you get to push each other to do better. Working out is more fun with friends, right?

Saddle Row offers three rowing classes: Finesse, Crew and Circuit. Finesse, which is best for beginners, goes through the basics and techniques to master the form. Crew, which is their signature class, teaches you how to do it the way it was done hundreds of years ago. And lastly, the Circuit, which is the one that we tried, is the tough but fun one. It focuses on strength and cardio. 

You can check them out at 2nd Floor Serendra, Bonifacio Global City. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments